The Buddha, The Dharma, The Sangha

"Spiritual powers and their wondrous functioning--hauling water and carrying firewood." --Layman Pang, upon his realization

Monday, June 11, 2012



To me, spiritual practice is like a mystery story in that we stumble onto something we have never encountered before.  At that point, the intelligent approach is, "Wow, what have we heare?  Let me take a closer look."

--Cheri Huber


Let me have a closer look indeed!
Yes, this is the intelligent approach, this is the enlightened approach, one stemming from a sense of equanimity and compassion for all things...and yet, how often can I say I am able to experience new moments with just this state of being?
Not so often really.
I find myself struck dumb sometimes, as if I've received a slight blow to the head, when something new arises.  I feel a little uncertain.  I may not re-act, but I don't think I'm acting either.  Maybe I'm more like a rabbit in the oncoming head lights.
I have a feeling this is not exactly what Huber is talking about.

On the other hand, after these moments (hours, days, months!) of dumbness, there is a space provided for clarity.  Or, at least a little less purple haze.
Then there appears to be space to choose; do I need to take action in any way, do I wait to see what comes next, do I simply let the "situation" rise and fall like a breath?
Here, each moment is accompanied by spaciousness.
Actually, there isn't any difference between the moment AND spaciousness.

That's when I realize the practice is working me.  I'm no longer working the practice.  If I can reside in this reality, however briefly, the Universe and I are awake!



No comments: