The Buddha, The Dharma, The Sangha

"Spiritual powers and their wondrous functioning--hauling water and carrying firewood." --Layman Pang, upon his realization

Sunday, January 23, 2011

When my kids were small, I introduced sweet potatoes as nature's candy, delectable and fun, like a trip to the penny candy store, but no one bought it. I tried mashing it with butter, salt and pepper and maple syrup, serving it with raisin smily faces, bribed extra t.v. time for just a few bites, to no avail.
I even had a monster smash hit with the song, "Sweet! Sweet! Sweet Potato!", but we ended up chanting it as a game, clapping and walking, not eating....
What I didn't do was serve it up in a pie, and there was my mistake. It could not have been resisted mixed with brown sugar and poured into a pie shell, sprinkled with toasted pecans with a final topping of spray-your-own
whipped cream!
I never thought about pie.

Here's a recipe for Sweet Potato Bourbon Pie from Vegetarian Times (www.vegetariantimes.com), which I made yesterday--it took all of 10 minutes to prepare, and I was eating it an hour later, can't beat it with a stick.

2 Cups cooked pureed orange fleshed sweet potato, such as Beauregard, garnet or jewel
(I used canned and mashed it with a potato masher)
3/4 Cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbs. bourbon
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp. salt
3 large eggs
1 9 inch whole wheat pie crust shell
2 Tbs. chopped toasted pecans (I used at least half a cup)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together sweet potato, brown sugar, flour, bourbon, pumpkin pie spice, salt and eggs in a large bowl until smooth. (I left mine a bit lumpy)
Pour into pie shell. Sprinkle with pecans.

2. Place on rimmed baking sheet. Bake 50 minutes, or until center is set. Cool on wire rack.


So Good! Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha. Yes same in this household. Try as I might to feature the sweet potato or carrot as a sweet yummy treat, they have already seen through the guise. :) That sweet potato pie looks AWESOME!

Brookie said...

Sounds so familiar, but try this, they might love it! You might want to find a substitute for the bourbon though....then report back, I would love to know if your children enjoy it.
Dharma, and sweet potato pie, are revolution!
Brookie

Brennan said...

mom, i remember when we lived in redding you'd feed us sweet potato. we wouldn't be allowed to watch tv until we finished it. i observed win go to the bathroom and spit it in the toilet after and then telling you he'd eaten it all. do you remember? i didn't tell you because i wanted to watch tv! i must have been about 6 or 7.