The Buddha, The Dharma, The Sangha

"Spiritual powers and their wondrous functioning--hauling water and carrying firewood." --Layman Pang, upon his realization

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sensei Neko-Chan, Sensei Miso

Meet Neko-Chan, my new Sensei!
This photo was snapped during my first Dokusan, where I failed to plumb the depths of her Koan, "Does a cat have Buddha Nature?"
When I uttered "Mu", she just closed her eyes....Damn, not what Sensei was looking for!
She'll ask again, I know, and next time I will be ready.
Do you notice the wolf's head between her ears? She's from the Dark Wolf Kitty Zendo where all expressions of the Buddha are met with the wolf's clear, unwavering gaze.

Enter Sensei Miso, Neko-Chan's golden eyed sister.
Miso takes a decidedly relaxed attitude with the Dharma and prefers no Koan, no Dokusan, no Zendo Protocol, Samu or Gateless Gate.
In fact, she is more Shin, bringing the teachings of liberation and light to all who recite her name, Namu Miso Butsu!
For your recitation, those golden eyes promise uncompromised love and compassion in the Pure Land of Kits.

And to both I bow down, because I am a humble human guardian stumbling along the Way as best I can, reminded over and over again that intense love is found in the simplest pleasures: the purr of kittens close to my ear, a curious nose snuffling eyelashes, and faces made for my kisses.

How can I resist their lessons, when everything is love!


No comments: