The Buddha, The Dharma, The Sangha

"Spiritual powers and their wondrous functioning--hauling water and carrying firewood." --Layman Pang, upon his realization

Thursday, October 14, 2010

One night I dreamed that I came to a remote mountain wilderness, where I had never been, an exceedingly pleasant place like a celestial land. Sitting there, at ease, I sang many spiritual songs by Jetsun Milarepa and other exalted beings. My mind became filled with the thought of Jetsun Milarepa and his spiritual sons, and, as I prayed to them with great yearning, they appeared before me, smiling and laughing. With great tenderness, Mila placed his two hands upon my head, and, spat, as a blessing.

At that moment, all my deluded perceptions ceased, and I rested serenely in the vivid state of Mahamudra, free of discursive thoughts and adorned with bliss, clarity, and nonthought.

The next day, I sang this Laughter of Milarepa and his Spiritual Sons:

If having me your teachers--oho!
You train in the teachings of Buddha--aha!
Milarepa and his spiritual sons will laugh in delight--ko re!
And. like fathers, will care for you always--ya! Ya yi! Ya yi!


from The Life of Shabkar: The Autobiography of a Tibetan Yogin

No comments: