The Buddha, The Dharma, The Sangha

"Spiritual powers and their wondrous functioning--hauling water and carrying firewood." --Layman Pang, upon his realization

Monday, December 7, 2015

Gratitude Practice--Day 4

Welcome to Day 4 of our 7 Day Gratitude Practice

"I am alarmed when it happens that I have walked a mile into the woods bodily, without getting there in spirit.  In my afternoon walk I would fain forget all my morning occupations and my obligations to Society. But it sometimes happens that I cannot easily shake off the village.  The thought of some work will run in my head and I am not where my body is--I am out of my senses.  In my walks, I would fain return to my senses.  What business have I in the woods, if I am thinking of something out of the woods?"

--from Walking, by Henry David Thoreau

Begin the morning with your Grounding Practice (taking refuge in the True Self) at your Centering space.
Sit a 5-10 minute (or longer) silent meditation, undisturbed.

Sauntering
Today, find time to get out and walk aimlessly, in no particular direction, with no destination whatsoever.  Try to walk for at least a half hour.  Feel free to bring a companion, but allow companionable silence to ensue.
Allow all the senses to be fully engaged.

See if it is possible to find an item or two from nature to bring back to your Centering space.

Finish the day with your Grounding practice at your Centering space. Meditate 5-10 minutes (or longer) in silent meditation, undisturbed.

Continue your journaling practice:
For tonight, thank mother nature for whatever she has offered up as you walked today.
Write whatever comes to you, without edit.
List 5-10 things for which you are grateful, different from yesterday.

Finally, offer yourself loving-kindness for your day, using the Metta prayer from Friday.

No comments: