The Buddha, The Dharma, The Sangha

"Spiritual powers and their wondrous functioning--hauling water and carrying firewood." --Layman Pang, upon his realization

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Meeting the buddha
on the road
I did not kill her

but counted the claws
on her shaggy paw
and opened her jaws wide

to count the teeth
that had devoured
delusion, sweetly

and would devour
me, sweetly,
morsel by morsel

the marrow bone
on your tongue
does it taste of longing

is this sinew
long enough
to hold 108 knuckle bones

how much blood
fits into
the cup of your skull

but the buddha
doesn't care
what answer I conjure

she growls
the Nembutsu
and hunts again


Release me in the back country
and leave me to die
beneath the birch trees

where others
have left instructions
on birch paper bark

someone
will meet me
on the road


--to sj, with gratitude

No comments: