The Buddha, The Dharma, The Sangha

"Spiritual powers and their wondrous functioning--hauling water and carrying firewood." --Layman Pang, upon his realization

Friday, July 8, 2011

Tiger's Tail


With the 3rd crack at the koan, I found a way in.
Rather than confronting it head on, I circled round to the tiger's tail and pulled on it, waiting to see how wide the mouth might open and how ferocious the roar.
Pulling on the tiger's tail however reminds one to be careful of being bitten in the butt!
Tigers are stealth.
Tigers are Enzo!

Still my answer wasn't wrong, and I was happy not to get the instant gong.
But it remains uncooked, too raw to swallow.

So it's back to my koan even though Sensei deemed my answer "acceptable". There is a depth of understanding that is eluding me.
He holds up his fingers to indicate just a tiny bit more to discover, but I know better...there's an infinite treasure to discover, and I've just begun to integrate tail, claws, luxurious fur and teeth designed to make short order of an ignorant sentient being like me!

No comments: