The Buddha, The Dharma, The Sangha

"Spiritual powers and their wondrous functioning--hauling water and carrying firewood." --Layman Pang, upon his realization

Monday, June 20, 2011

Seems to me we never have to decide anything. Our job, our opportunity, is to show up with all the trust, willingness, and courage we can muster. Life will take us where we need to go.

--Cheri Huber

What does it mean never having to "decide anything?"
How do we live a life so fully with trust, willingness and courage, that we never feel the necessity to direct our path?
The Three Pillars of Zen, Great Doubt, Great Faith and Great Courage, urge us to rest in a boundless liberation, but how do we ever reach this point?

I'm still battling the currents in the river, my raft so solidly built it's a bulwark against ever dipping a toe into the water. And yet, all around me, the energy of the river allows for continuous freedom. An ant travels by on a blade of grass, where is it headed?
Mustering courage seems to take many lifetimes, yet I'm impatient and brazen, I'm on fire, even as I float on currents of water.

I have the sense that koan becomes True Self becomes koan.
Do I trust the process enough to just allow that to be? Am I willing to be patient?
And courage, are you far away?


No comments: