There are probably infinite possibilities with this recipe, use whatever you have in your cupboard and see what you get.
1 Cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 Cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
1 Cup sugar
2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind (I doubled)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 eggs
1/3 Cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 Cup low fat milk
1 Cup each strawberries, blueberries, raspberries (I used more)
1/4 Cup sugar, or to taste
1/2 Cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1. To prepare cake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
2. Combine flour, baking soda and salt.
3. Combine butter, sugar, orange rind and vanilla in a large bowl, beat with a mixer at medium speed until evenly blended. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture and cornmeal alternately with milk, beating until just evenly incorporated....do not over beat.
4. Bake 30 minutes or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.
5. To prepare berries, mash berries in a large bowl. Add sugar and orange juice and mix gently. Sever with cake.
Nutritional facts per serving: 300 calories, 13g fat, 5g protein, 46g carbohydrates, 1g fiber, 280mg sodium