The Buddha, The Dharma, The Sangha

"Spiritual powers and their wondrous functioning--hauling water and carrying firewood." --Layman Pang, upon his realization

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Carrot Love

Every summer I find something really cool in my share from the farm where I have a CSA--this is what I found a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't bare to part this couple and eat them, but instead left them out for several days, just to continue marveling over them, until their withering in the summer heat made each carrot smaller and smaller. Eventually,they sort of untwisted from one another, diminished.
Then I felt a twinge that I had actually wasted their sweetness--a mistake! Better to eat and graciously accept their nutriments than to watch them wither!
They would have lived on in my body, if simply in a different form.

1 comment:

jr said...

romantic! well, what became of them kinda sounds like metaphor for a human companionship, which is interesting.