The Buddha, The Dharma, The Sangha

"Spiritual powers and their wondrous functioning--hauling water and carrying firewood." --Layman Pang, upon his realization

Sunday, October 19, 2008


YOUR CATFISH FRIEND

If I were to live my life

in catfish form

in scaffolds of skin and whiskers

at the bottom of a pond

and you were to come by

        one evening

when the moon was shining

down into my dark home

and stand there at the edge

          of my affection

and think, "It's beautiful 

here by this pond.  I wish

           somebody loved me,"

I'd love you and be your catfish

friend and drive such lonely

thoughts from your mind

and suddenly you would be 

            at peace,

and ask yourself, "I wonder

if there are any catfish

in this pond?  It seems like

a perfect place for them."

By Richard Brautigan


No comments: