The Buddha, The Dharma, The Sangha

"Spiritual powers and their wondrous functioning--hauling water and carrying firewood." --Layman Pang, upon his realization

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Tokudo

Peaceful Life


Being told that is impossible,
One believes, in despair, "Is that so?"
Being told that it is possible,
One believes, in excitement, "That's right."
But, whichever is chosen,
It does not fit one's heart neatly.

Being asked, "What is unfitting?"
I don't know what it is.
But my heart knows somehow.
I feel an irresistible desire to know.
What a mystery "human" is!

As to this mystery:
Clarifying,
Knowing how to live,
Knowing how to walk with people, 
Demonstrating and teaching,
This is the Buddha.

From my human eyes,
I feel it's really impossible to become a Buddha.
But this "I",
Regarding what the Buddha does,
Vows to practice, 
To aspire,
To be resolute,
And tells myself, "Yes, I will."
Just practice right here now,
And achieve continuity,
Endlessly,

Forever.
This is living in vow.
Herein is one's peaceful life found.

--Dainin Katagiri-roshi
Founder and Abbot,  Minnesota Zen Meditation Center

No comments: