The Buddha, The Dharma, The Sangha

"Spiritual powers and their wondrous functioning--hauling water and carrying firewood." --Layman Pang, upon his realization

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Quatrain on Heavenly Mountain by Emperor Gaozong, Song Dynasty


I'm getting an early start on National Poetry Month, which begins April 1st. To celebrate, I've created a new blog site, called RAVE & FROTH.
It can be found at http://raveandfroth.blogspot.com
As I was putting the site together and thinking of poems, I realized one of my most early, most favorite poems strikes me as very Zen.
I think there is definitely a Koan here. See what you think!

Solitude

I have a house where I go
When there's too many people,
I have a house where I go
Where no one can be;
I have a house where I go,
Where nobody ever says "No";
Where no one says anything-so
There is no one but me.


A.A. Milne, from Now We Are Six


So I ask myself, Where is the house where no one can be?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well my friend where else then inside your head. No one can get you there. Or can they?