The Buddha, The Dharma, The Sangha

"Spiritual powers and their wondrous functioning--hauling water and carrying firewood." --Layman Pang, upon his realization

Monday, March 31, 2008

Inscribed on the Pavilion of Moon on the Water:  Two Poems


                                                            1
    In the water is a moon gleaming like gold
    That I greedily watch at my open window deep into
                  each night;
    My sick eyes suddenly cause another to appear---
    A monkey's leaped into the blue ripples of my mind!


    2
    By the light of the moon in the water I sit in
          meditation,
    A wide Palace of Cold soaking into smooth, blue grass;
    At midnight I rise, turn suddenly around,
    And find the perfect circle of moon in the heart of
   the ripples.


GIDO SHUSHIN
Tr. David Pollack

No comments: