The Buddha, The Dharma, The Sangha

"Spiritual powers and their wondrous functioning--hauling water and carrying firewood." --Layman Pang, upon his realization

Friday, February 22, 2008

Cathedral Of The Slightly Scary New Kiln







I work as a Studio Technician, and the Clay Studio is where I spend most of my time. This is for 2 reasons: 1. because it's the most hands-on Studio at the College and needs constant maintenance 2. because I love it so much. In my 17 years of "teching", the Clay studio has provided continuous opportunities to practice.
For one thing, clay is alive! It is composed of every bit of organic material and life that has lived before me--how astounding!
Clay has Buddha Nature.
Clay IS Buddha.
Clay also has living micro organisms that contribute to every pot thrown. Working in concert, hands, creative energy and clay create something new and dynamic. It's a dance--sometimes it feels like a square dance and I've forgotten where the @&%*# I'm going, other times it's a free flow funky chicken, just me and the Universe! Most the time clay is a willing partner and I don't think about the steps.
These days, I am bowing to the new kiln: learning just how it works--it's not complicated, even though I think it is--as my husbands likes to point out, "It's just a big oven Brooke." (thanks honey)
It's not rocket science either, even though I sometimes envision the whole thing lifting off the pad like the Apollo Space Shuttle. (Ground Control to Major Tom....)

It just takes practice.

No comments: